Introductions

Newbie saying Hello!

Wanted to say hey to everyone, like just about anyone and everyone here I am a lover of all things Coffee! I am also a full-time student, food/beverage professional and web developer. I am the owner of TheBestCoffeeBeans.com and hope to make a lot of friends! Thanks & Cheers!

Hello everyone~ my name is Ookami and coffee is just about my favorite thing right now. Greetings from California and hopes to you that your cups of coffee are extra delicious today.

Hi, found so much great info out here already I'd like to connect with Torontonians who a) love coffee b) maybe interested in opening a coffee bar with a twist!
I am seeking a partner to compliment my skill set. I am a big picture person, lots of direct sales with food background and excellent retail exp. If we hit it off that would be great. I don't want to be working 7days a week, but i work hard so i can play hard. so if you're interested lets connect and meet and chat. Plus i wanna learn which coffee's people love and why! Please msg. me with and intro. Peace,love and light...oh and Coffee of course. My glass is always half full.lol

Hello everyone!

My name is Seraj and I am a Turkish coffee enthusiast. I can't go a day without enjoying a nice cup of strong Turkish coffee with some Turkish delights. I like to relax and enjoy my coffee. I value the entire process of grinding, brewing, pouring, and drinking it. It's all an art. I am the owner of a startup subscription service for Turkish coffee- KahveCrate.com. It's a club for people that love premium coffee and have passion for making the perfect cup every day.

Turkish coffee has been in my family's tradition for over 25 years. My mom makes her own special blend of Turkish coffee spices. For us it has always been a social or relaxing tradition. Some of us drink coffee when we are in a rushed situation or environment. The natural caffeine gives us the energy and motivation to get through the day and conplete our tasks. But, we should also enjoy the experience of having a great cup of coffee. Keep that in mind the next time you're making and drinking your coffee. :)

hello Seraj,
welcome. I am very glad that we have a new member who enjoys Turkish coffee.
I also enjoy Turkish coffee. Actually whenever I visit Mexico city, there is a coffee shop in downtown where I always visit for a great Turkish coffee.
below photos are the coffee that I drank in my trip, late 2015. .. the coffee shop name is Jekemir Cafe in downtown. I believe the owners are from Lebanon descendants.

IMG_20151209_121040.jpgIMG_20151209_121540.jpgIMG_20151209_121549.jpgIMG_20151209_121930.jpg

hello Umar,
welcome!
Just curious, I have heard that there are some coffee farms in North Borneo.
can you tell us bit more about Borneo coffee?
thanks

Hi ensoluna,
Sadly to say coffee is not a popular crop in Sabah(north borneo). Coffee cultivation scattered throughout north borneo mainly robusta and catimor variety...about 2000ha altogether. It used to be popular back during colonial time where people in rural areas planted a few coffee trees for their family consumption only. It seems an uphill task to get people cultivate coffee due less encouragement from the government. We don't have Coffee Board like others. I've been reading books,articles and all knowledge input about coffee through internet...Sabah(north borneo) is a home to the highest mountain in asia(mount kinabalu)...in addition we have a chain of mountain called "crocker range". It could be developed in ecofriendly manner with sustainable coffee/shade grown coffee just like the jamaican blue mountain. Thx...to be continued..sorry for my poor english.

Hey that's awesome! Thank you for sharing the pictures. It's very rare to find Coffee shops that serve Turkish coffee in the West, particularly in the US- where I'm at.

So Turkish coffee kind of has 3 names- Turkish Coffee, Arabic Coffee, and Greek Coffee. Since it's origin is in Istanbul, Turkey I like to refer to it as Turkish coffee. But it is just as widely popular in Arab speaking countries(middle east/north africa), Greece, and Eastern Europe.

It makes sense that they are from Lebanon.

I'm so happy to quickly meet someone in this community that also enjoys Turkish coffee! Not too many people know about it, yet!

Hey that's awesome! Thank you for sharing the pictures. It's very rare to find Coffee shops that serve Turkish coffee in the West, particularly in the US- where I'm at.
So Turkish coffee kind of has 3 names- Turkish Coffee, Arabic Coffee, and Greek Coffee. Since it's origin is in Istanbul, Turkey I like to refer to it as Turkish coffee. But it is just as widely popular in Arab speaking countries(middle east/north africa), Greece, and Eastern Europe.
It makes sense that they are from Lebanon.
I'm so happy to quickly meet someone in this community that also enjoys Turkish coffee! Not too many people know about it, yet!

Seraj, I am also glad that you came back to forum to leave a reply. Not a lot of people does that, so thank you.

BTW, Kahve....man.... Kahve.. does this mean something? long time ago, I used to work with Iranian and other middle east people. Kahve sounds very familiar...

Last edited:
Seraj, I am also glad that you came back to forum to leave a reply. Not a lot of people does that, so thank you.

BTW, Kahve....man.... Kahve.. does this mean something? long time ago, I used to work with Iranian and other middle east people. Kahve sounds very familiar...

Sorry for the late response.

Ah, yes, it does! Kahve translates to Coffee in Turkish. :)

I'm assuming Kahve is pronounced "cave" and therefore the user ID "Kahveman". Clever!

That was the idea! But the pronunciation is not very close to "cave". Kahve is pronounced 'kah-vay'.

Kahve translates to coffee in Turkish which is originally derived from the Arabic word qahwa (kah-wa) which originally meant wine. When the coffee plant was first discovered in Ethiopia, it was traded by Arabs particularly on the Arabian Peninsula and made it's way to Turkey and eventually other regions of the world.

That was the idea! But the pronunciation is not very close to "cave". Kahve is pronounced 'kah-vay'.

Kahve translates to coffee in Turkish which is originally derived from the Arabic word qahwa (kah-wa) which originally meant wine. When the coffee plant was first discovered in Ethiopia, it was traded by Arabs particularly on the Arabian Peninsula and made it's way to Turkey and eventually other regions of the world.

Very interesting. Really love hearing all this coffee related background. Thanks for sharing in detail. Cheers!

Peaberry

Hi there, my name is Kimi. In November, I will be opening a shop that will be a mercantile and we will serve Corvus coffee out of Denver's Nitro draft cold brew as well as pour over coffee. Looking to connect with others in this industry as I come from a retail background, not a coffee shop background. I live in a beautiful tiny mountain town called Salida, Colorado in the heart of the rocky mountains. We will be the only shop of our kind in our town.

Back