Introductions

Introduction

Hellooo coffee Forum!
Want to quickly introduce myself to you and tell you a little about us. My name is Danny and I come from East Africa. We started importing green beans form the famous Yergacheffa region of Ethiopia and currently we have about 100 bags available. We are looking to partner with small to mid-size roasters as well as coffee lovers that want to roast there own coffee at home. if you are interested in getting some quality Yergacheffa coffee in smaller quantities. please feel free to contact me. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thanks!

Welcome Danny! Any Ethiopian coffee lover, especially one who exports greens, is a friend of mine. Not yet in the business, but hope to be soon.

Cheers,

Peaberry

Hello from California's Silly Valley

I am a retired Electrical Engineer living in Silly Valley, aka as San Jose CA or Silicon Valley. My career spanned the time from large mainframes to mobile technology. Prior to that I served a hitch in the USCG during the Vietnam War, then got my EE degree at the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana. I worked in Chicago, later Reston VA, for six years total, then and then Silicon Valley for 32 years before retiring from HP in May of 2015.

I love coffee, but I am the only coffee drinker at my home, the wife prefers teas and chai(s). I normally have two coffee varieties in my refrigerator in whole bean form:

For Moka coffee I use Jamaica Blue Mountain and I pay for the Wallenford brand, which has never disappointed me. I brew in a classic Bialetti aluminum moka pot in the 3-shot size, and drink from a 6.5oz. insulated borosilicate glass cup.

For drip coffee I use Kona and standard Melitta filters and cones, typically 16 oz. at a time from a large insulated travel mug. Relatives keep gifting me with the Blue Horse brand Kona beans in a Medium roast, which is what I normally use.

I use a hand-cranked ceramic burr grinder and grind just before brewing, and use Crystal Geyser brand bottled spring water for both coffees.

I am totally satisfied with the taste of each, but now that I am retired, I'd like to explore cheaper alternatives - especially for the Wallenford JBM that has reached $63 US per pound of whole beans! I'm not opposed to roasting small amounts, but I never buy more than a pound of beans at a time, either.

I am a retired Electrical Engineer living in Silly Valley, aka as San Jose CA or Silicon Valley. My career spanned the time from large mainframes to mobile technology. Prior to that I served a hitch in the USCG during the Vietnam War, then got my EE degree at the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana. I worked in Chicago, later Reston VA, for six years total, then and then Silicon Valley for 32 years before retiring from HP in May of 2015.

I love coffee, but I am the only coffee drinker at my home, the wife prefers teas and chai(s). I normally have two coffee varieties in my refrigerator in whole bean form:

For Moka coffee I use Jamaica Blue Mountain and I pay for the Wallenford brand, which has never disappointed me. I brew in a classic Bialetti aluminum moka pot in the 3-shot size, and drink from a 6.5oz. insulated borosilicate glass cup.

For drip coffee I use Kona and standard Melitta filters and cones, typically 16 oz. at a time from a large insulated travel mug. Relatives keep gifting me with the Blue Horse brand Kona beans in a Medium roast, which is what I normally use.

I use a hand-cranked ceramic burr grinder and grind just before brewing, and use Crystal Geyser brand bottled spring water for both coffees.

I am totally satisfied with the taste of each, but now that I am retired, I'd like to explore cheaper alternatives - especially for the Wallenford JBM that has reached $63 US per pound of whole beans! I'm not opposed to roasting small amounts, but I never buy more than a pound of beans at a time, either.

Hello "kaiserjeep"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums. Thanks for writing such a detailed introduction.

Weekends are traditionally slow on the Coffee Forums. I'm sure a few of our members will soon have some suggestions to your question about finding a lesser expensive alternative for Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee.

About eight years ago, I asked the same question. One of our very experienced members, who roasts coffee as a profession, suggested that I try Papua New Guinea coffee because the coffee plants in Papua New Guinea are grown from Jamaican Blue Mountain seeds. I tried it, and I was very happy with it. I've been buying Papua New Guinea coffee ever since.

Again, welcome to the Coffee Forums!

Rose

Thank you for the welcome, Rose. I will start a list and your suggestion of PNG will be #1. I won't be ordering any more beans for a couple of weeks likely - I just dropped another $63 on Amazon for Wallenford's JBM. It came with a fresh roasting date only about a week past. My guess is they move a lot of product through Amazon.

Although I patronize a local coffee shop in nearby Cupertino, I IM'd him and found he has not roasted any PNG lately. Do you have an online source?

Thank you for the welcome, Rose. I will start a list and your suggestion of PNG will be #1. I won't be ordering any more beans for a couple of weeks likely - I just dropped another $63 on Amazon for Wallenford's JBM. It came with a fresh roasting date only about a week past. My guess is they move a lot of product through Amazon.

Although I patronize a local coffee shop in nearby Cupertino, I IM'd him and found he has not roasted any PNG lately. Do you have an online source?

I sent you a Private Message.

You may be better off if you post your questions in a new thread, so it will get the attention of some of the roasters who are members of this Coffee Forum. Several of them roast Papua New Guinea coffee, and I'm sure they could give you some good advice regarding finding a replacement for the JMB coffee.

Rose

Hi everyone, I'm Kate, currently living in Victoria, Australia. My dream is to start up a mobile espresso business in Alabama (my husband's original home). The idea would be to attend events, festivals, markets etc. Unfortunately I don't know a great deal about who is already selling coffee at these events, and have a lot of research to do! We are planning on moving back permanently and start up in the next year or two. One thing I have noticed is that in that area and other southern states it is rare to find an espresso coffee, especially compared with the situation in Australia. Makes travelling difficult for a coffee addict! Hoping to get in on the niche and learn and share on this great forum. Cheers Kate

Hi KaiserJeep,

PNG is a big area, this is also a nice area to find very old Arabic variety that survived the rust in early 1900, these variety now a day are very rare I believe. For the same variety as Blue Mountain, you probably will need to know exactly which region it is grown to have the exact same product as what Pink referred. I'm confident that you will be able to find very good coffee if not better for cheaper price. Like other speciality product like wine and coffee; sometime, it's just a matter to know where thing happen before the rest of the world discover it.

But if you are willing to explore other coffee than Kona and JBM, there is some Ethiopian, Kenya, Guatemala, columbian and Indonesian coffee that are also excellent.
If you wish, I could eventually send your way a few sample for free of these coffee. I'm always looking for feedback from real people.

[FONT=&quot]Hello everyone [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I began to have a cup of coffee three or four years ago, classmatetaught me how to and like it, so, made a burr grinder for myself when I knewburr is better than blade, I made a 1kg roaster also to have beans fresh. I amglad to be here .[/FONT]

Back