Introductions

I prefer simple!
-Daniel Kent
perfect. BTW, please be sure to compare Marlon Caldron's roaster pricing with ISC corporacion company in Guatemala. ISC is the biggest and most specialized coffee related roasting machine company. And Marlon used to work in that company and few years ago, he set up his own company.

GRUPO ISC

So, before you buy from Marlon, please check out ISC also to compare pricing, specs and after service.
thanks
alex

Hi everyone,

I've been in a journey exploring the world of coffee (online) untill I stumbled upon these forums here.
I liked the posts I read and the way people treat each other here... as another coffee lover and enthusiast, I decided to join this community
to enrich my knowledge and meet great people from around the world.

My favorite coffee beans for the last couple of months are Indian Monsooned AA, Yellow bourbon from Brazil and Yemen Matari
I cook my coffee in an Ibrik, which I cover on the top with Alufoils and just drop a thermometer to control the temps !

Today am gonna try for the first time the Jamaica Blue mountain, so am gonnna go prepare it now and ill let you know how it tastes..

Regards ,
Zak

Hello Zak,

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website!

It sounds like you've been doing much more than exploring coffee online. You've been exploring it in your kitchen too.

I'm sure you're enjoying your Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee today.

Where do you buy your coffee beans?

Rose

Thank you Rose,

Well yeah Iam a student of Chemistry, so the kitchen is my lab at home. I like to experiment alot, and thats how I learned how to roast and flavor coffee beans, which is a very fun thing to do especially to prepare flavours yourself. All of that together led me into studying Oils, Flavours and some of the biochemistry behind it. (I still consider myself a rookie in those subjects)

I live right now in Germany Düsseldorf and study in Cologne, so in Düsseldorf I get my coffee from some local experienced Roasters sometimes they are kind enough to sell me small quantities of green beans, and in Cologne I get them from a Shop that imports his roasted beans from well known roasteries from Italy,Vienne,Munchen. I got the Jamaican blue from the Cologne shop, I was actually going for the Geisha but it was sold out.

Regarding the Blue Mountain, I believe it does taste smokey,earthy and rich as everybody described.
I dont know why but I forgot to readjust my grinder, and the first 20g grind was kinda rough for the Ibrik method I mentioned,
So I dripped it over a filter, which resulted in that awesome earthy taste but kind of too light for my taste. I still gotta try the other method to get a thicker and stronger taste.

PS: the bean were mild roasted.

Zak

hello Zak,
this is Alex from Ensoluna here.
Just curious... how is green or roasted coffee bean pricings like in Germany? like Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee or Geisha...etc?
and when you buy them, do you know exactly where they are coming from? farm names, characteristics of beans, cupping profiles..etc, Do sellers let you know?

Hi Alex,
First of all thank you for the huge content you've been posting here. Many things I searched for in Google led me to one of your posts on this forum.
For the pricings in germany, I find them rather decent. Prices for roasted beans varies from 6-8 Euroes/250g. Under this category falls many such as the , AA, Yigarcheiff , Sidamo, Yemen, El selvador, costa rican types. Robustas are mostly around 4-6 Euroes/250g.

Blue mountain was 21 Euroes/100g, quite a price tag .. Geicha is around 26€. A level below that are Hawaian types (which I dont recall their names now) they were around 10€/100g.

Wallford Estate is written on the blue mountain, Im still not that knowlegable regarding Cupping profiles,and beans characteristics,so I dont ask about those stuff yet :)
most of the local roasters are certificated SCAA and Coffee Embassy Certificated Baristas/Roasters. I believe they wouldnt mind letting their clients to know. They hold also special Seminars covering all the process from Farm to Cup, barista training, etc.
Sometimes I would spot a not very well roasted batch but its kay, then I add some Cardamon to my blend.

By the way, Iam considering a visit to Guatemala as you proposed in the other thread. Got to save and plan !

Cheers
Zak

thanks Zak for replying.
the "Hawaiian coffee" is Kona. (not really much special at all. Since it is very small production, there are more demands and supplies. that is why the pricing is so high)
I guess pricing in Germany is very similar to here in USA (I live in USA but works in Guatemala with my Guatemalan Partners)

If you are considering to come to Guatemala, please let me know. If I am there, I can take you around. If I am not, you can at least visit our company and I will tell my guys to show you some good time (as far as coffee cultures are concerned).

thanks and Hope that you can continue to participate in this forum.

Allow myself, to introduce myself

I'm new to the coffee game. I guess not a total noob, I've been drinking black, gas station quality coffee since high school. About 2 years ago I was introduced to an AeroPress and now everything has changed. I'm reading, tasting, or more accurately obsessing about coffee. I'm playing with the idea of roasting my own coffee and looking forward to learning even more information through these forums.

Thanks, Jeffocy

Hello Jeffocy,

Welcome to the Coffee Forums.

Since you said you've started obsessing about coffee, you're definitely in the right place.

Feel free to participate in the discussions and ask questions when you're ready.

Rose

Good Morning... My name is John. Found this site while searching for information about the antique peanut roasters I just purchased. We opened a popcorn & icecream shop here in rural Northern Pa.If you look up millstreetcaramelcorn you'll find us there. I was excited to find this site because we plan to roast coffee in one of our roasters.....anyway Thank You for being here. Look forward to looking around at the experts here.

Back