Introductions

Hello everyone, my name is Kolja and I'm new to the forum. Basically came on here to find out what the world of coffee lovers is all about and get views and opinions of different people. I'm excited to find out what everyone is like and what their knowledge entails. Cheers :)

Hello Kolja,

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

Judging from the user name you've selected for this Forum, it appears that you like Starbucks. If you explore the various topic areas in the Coffee Forums (search box at the top right of your screen) you will see various views and opinions about Starbucks.

In time, you will also see that we have many Forum members who have perfected the craft of making quality coffee, and perhaps you'll start to realize that there is more to the world of coffee than what you've been experieincing at Starbucks.

Only time will tell!

Rose

I agree with Rose entirely...and would add that you should be forewarned that some here might sound a tad condescending when they talk about Starbucks. But stick around! Please! This forum needs diversity.

And, it's impossible for a member of the specialty coffee community to have really thought about this industry and not be thankful for the role Starbucks plays. Remind them of that if you detect snobbery. :)

Hi, I'm Jen. I am a coffee enthusiast. I enjoy experimenting with brewing methods and have started researching roasting techniques. I have a gas Toper Cafemino Roaster that I am working on getting set up in my garage to start roasting. I have been reading threads on here and thought I better start interacting if I'm going to figure out this roaster.

Hi all! I'm Kim, and I've been on this coffee journey for a good ten years. I didn't even drink coffee until ten or so years ago, then it was Katy-bar-the-door right down the rabbit hole, to mix metaphors.

I've recently taken on managing an independent coffee bar that opened a little more than a year ago and is doing quite well. I have about a decade of experience in corporate/regional food service management (over the years) and I actually love doing this kind of work.

Yeah, something is wrong with me.:)

I'd love to have someplace to ask questions and get advice, though, about the nitty gritty that I'm running into -- owners set up a great shop and have pretty high expectations, which is what attracted me both as a customer and now and employee. But they had no previous food service experience at all, so I'm creating a lot of control systems from scratch and am dealing with new-to-me equipment.

What's the best place to ask for assistance around here? (Example: Nuova Simonelli Aurelia II has an overflow issue that I'm sure isn't exactly, er, normal, although it's been treated as not a great big deal up to now. And I'm looking for accessories for our drive-thru window to "close the gap" at the bottom -- our winters are brutal and this is a good eighth of an inch!)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Hello "Dakota" (Kim)

Welcome to the coffee Forums!

We have a lot of members who have a quite a bit of experience in the world of coffee. You will find a lot of helpful information here.

If you go to the top left of your screen, you will see a Forum tab to select the various Forum topic areas. Explore the categories and select one that would work for your specific problem or question. Then, post a new thread, using an appropriate title so you can get people's attention.

Rose

Hello "teacherjen" (Jen)

Welcome!

Congratulations on getting a new roaster. We have a lot of members who have roasting experience both professionally as well as in a home setting.

Holiday weekends are traditionally slow on the Coffee Forums. Please be patient while you wait for responses to your questions.

Rose

Hey Folks,

My name is Richard Stafford, my business partner Kevin Candelario Arita and I grow arabica coffee here on the mainland USA...in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Georgia to be exact. I know, you have heard all the myths that commercial coffee can not be grown successfully in the 48 contiguous states, and certainly not Alaska. Actually, Organic Farms in California pioneered USA coffee growing outside of Hawaii, over a decade ago. They have had some success, but primarily sell to customers who come to the farm locally to shop. Many others in California, Texas and Florida have tried and ceased commercial operations...as being impossible. Not us! If in Atlanta, you can see some of our bean covered coffee plants on display at the Gwinnett Environment and Heritage Center growing happily for thousands of youngsters and visitors. While there, enjoy a cup of our best imported coffee at the new All Things Brewed coffee kiosk in the middle of the gift shop. The gift shop staff will happily show you around the mini-grove flourishing at the Center and answer your questions.

Hawaii sells locally grown coffee, but often, and according to recent state law, it only has to contain 10% Hawaiian grown coffee to be called "Hawaiian Grown"...the rest is from Central America. But I am certain it is great coffee, because I have been there, bought it, drank it, and enjoyed it. It just seems like perfect coffee looking out at a Hawaiian sunset. Twenty-five years ago vineyards laughed at one small new winery just down the road from us here in Georgia. Today, we have 19 commercially successful wineries which have won numerous awards for excellent taste through out the US. We think we might be next!

We believe in the Wright Brothers and their pioneering of aviation. We believe commercial coffee, that tastes great and compares favorably in blind cupping tests, that is Georgia grown will be as good as the next cup over on the table. We do not wish to damage the giant coffee industries, or the hard working people who make it all happen, family growers and pickers, located around the globe along the equalateral belt, but we believe in putting myths aside and living in the world of reality.

So, soon, maybe in April 2015, we will have our first full crop of arabica, Georgia java to market along side peaches, peanuts, wine grapes, and apples. No coffee is ready before its time, but we have enjoyed a mass of white jasmine scented coffee flowers in spring and now our plants are full of green coffee beans that will grow over the next 7-9 months until they change to cherry red and finally purple...their sweetest state! Follow the story on CNN, Telemundo, Univision and hundreds of newspapers and magazines for the day farm to table coffee arrives in the Peach State on a commercially productive table.

Richard and Candelario

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums! How big is your green house and how many plants does that hold? Well...again welcome and look forward to reading your posts. Good luck on your venture!

Hello Richard,

Thank you for writing such a nice introduction!

As time goes on, please share some photos of the Georgia java plants as they progress through the stages of growing coffee beans. Do you have any photos of the coffee flowers that appeared in the spring that you can share with us?

Considering that it takes about 5 years for a coffee plant to produce flowers and then it takes 7-9 months for the coffee beans to go from green to red, I have a feeling you're really going to be looking forward to April, when you'll see the final results.

Please keep us posted!

Rose

Our coffee growing house (green house) is open on all four sides and roofed with translucent plastic to allow us the decision for watering...not mother nature. Coffee has to go through a (simulated) winter with little water to induce the sweet 2-3 day white flowers that will become green beans and then red cherry. So we determine when they are watered. The four sides are open during 8 1/2 months with netting to allow the plants to absorb free mountain air growth. The remaining 3 months, the sides are enclosed with plastic to allow sun, though they are grown under a canopy of oak trees for dappled light, and to keep warm air inside.
We can easily grow about 500 plants, but often plants are placed in the care of institutions and coffee shops where the atmosphere may be safe and productive for them. Right now, about 300 plants are in the house. Plans are for 1000 plants to live there. You can see a photo of Candelario i the green house by searching for 'Atlanta Magazine Student growing coffee' in google, or by clicking on in the news on our website at Yonah Coffee.

Thanks,
Richard Stafford

Back