Introductions

Hello Charlie,

Welcome! We're very glad you found us.

I've never known anyone who wanted to open a coffee shop when they graduated from college. Usually, people graduate and begin their chosen career paths, and eventually they change their minds and then decide to open a coffee shop.

You've come to the perfect place to get information about the world of coffee.

We hope you'll visit us often.

Rose

Welcome Charlie and Tracie !

Tracie: Where in Va are you? We may be close. I would gladly check out your coffee biz.

Charlie: The bet thing I can say is read read read. Visit every coffee shop you can, then become a shrewd business man. You are going to need lots of capital to do it right. Initially your business is going to be cash hungry, equipment, supplies, rent, utilities, marketing, promotion....
Your location will be important to a degree as you will need the right community. Before you purchase a location or rent a space, learn about the people in the area. What do they want/need? Maybe you give them what they need more than what you vision? If it works, open another shop.

Location is key, you want to be seen. proximity to other eateries would be good, or even a business center or just a busy corridor in and out of the area.

Seriously consider roasting your own coffee. It is expensive to buy a roaster and the equipment the local codes office wants in place, but the smell of roasting coffee is amazing. The fresh roasted coffee is amazing. You can put yourself on the map with that alone. It's not hard to do basic roasts. DOnt be afraid, but once you start roasting...#1 rule Do Not Walk Away From The Roaster ! !! ...and you'll be fine. Budget 20-30K to do this right. A 7.5 - 10 pound roaster should be fine. Purchase from a reputable US company that will service the machine.

Just some things to think about. :)

Hi All

My name's Mike and I'm a brit living in Spain. Gotta have my cafe bombon every morning but now my coffee comes out really weak. My coffee maker's a Saeco Talea Giro and I've had it five years now, always making perfect coffee.

However, searching the forum, can't find an answer to my query.... coffee's coming out weak now, although the right colour... any ideas???

Cheers :coffee1:

Hi! CC, from Caracas, Venezuela. Arrived here via the classified ads, but stayed for the vibe. I own a small chain of cafés and I am a fervent coffee lover, being mainly an espresso drinker (4-6 cups a day - doppio ristretto). I hope to be of service to all of you.Kind regards!

Hi! CC, from Caracas, Venezuela. Arrived here via the classified ads, but stayed for the vibe. I own a small chain of cafés and I am a fervent coffee lover, being mainly an espresso drinker (4-6 cups a day - doppio ristretto). I hope to be of service to all of you.Kind regards!

Hello CC
Its extremely nice to see you experienced people like you, joining in here. Hope you stay and we are able to learn from your experience.
Please stay and have a great time over here.
:coffeemug:

Hello, Ted - US ex-pat currently living in Israel. A coffee lover starting a business importing coffee fresh from the roasters in Europe (Vienna, Milan, & Paris) to the consumers in the US.

Hello Ted
Welcome to the forum. I am glad that you have come to the right place. So did you move to Israel for this coffee business or had you this business in US as well?
Hope you stay and enjoy over here as this is a wonderful place to learn and share your experiences.

:coffeemug:

Thanks for the welcome!

The coffee business is coming out of my day job, which entails a bit of travel to Europe.

Cheers,
Ted

You are welcome for thanking me on welcoming you, lol.......haha......
On a serious note, how frequently you have to travel to Europe? And which countries have you been to, so far?

Welcome to the new members !

Very nice to see a good mix of experience and enthusiasm. I am sure the members like myself, looking to expand knowledge, will be interested to what you have to share.

Cheers. :coffee:

Back