Introductions

Another new member :)

Hello :)

I started reading these forums late last week when I was trying to find some information on rent prices. I've been working on my business plans to start a specialty coffee house (can't call it coffee shop here as the #1 product sold is not coffee :wink: ) for the last few months. I'm struggling mostly with estimating coffee consumption rates outside the home and office.

Since wanting to open my own cafe, I've been practising my espresso pulls, steaming milk, latte art, and roasting.

If all goes well with the planning, I hope to open within 6-9 months. It's a fairly big range because I'm still looking for the right spot. My #1 location is a brand new building that will be completed next month; however, I got the numbers: 485 euros/m2 "casco" (meaning box bare, just cement outer walls, cement floor, and cement ceiling, no toilets, no sinks, no inner walls, absolutely nothing else). The leasing agent was quick to point out those that in this "casco" scenario, the outer windows & doors are included (yes, you read that correctly) and of course, I need to add 19% VAT to that price. What this means monthly is a little of 6K euros per month for 125m2 (approx 1125 sf) just for rent alone. Having found the rental-to-sales ratios here and elsewhere on the internet, means a whole lot of selling!
One more fact about The Netherlands: although *$ has its EMEA HQ in Amsterdam, there isn't a single *$ shop open in the whole country. I think I also remember reading somewhere that the *$ coffee is roasted here and shipped to the rest of the EU.

Anyway, in the next 2 months, I'm hoping to take some barista lessons in London to make sure I'm doing it right. And while I'm there, I figure I'd take some cupping courses too.

That's more than enough blah blah from me... sorry, gift of gab.

Looking forward to getting to know you,
Marcy

Hey all. I'm Scott and I'm a newbie if there ver was one. :oops: I grew up in a Mormon household and coffee/caffeine in general was generally frowned upon. :cry: During college, I frequented a local coffeehouse, where i learned the greatness of the bean. :) I would pull all-nighters after consuming five or six lattes. :-D I love espresso drinks, but also enjoy some great coffee as well. For regular stuff, I do like Folgers. For stuff that's better tasting, I prefer Millstone and Starbucks in general. I know there's plenty of other stuff out there, just hoping to learn more-hence why I'm joining.

I'm into cigars and love to have a good brew with a great Fonseca or Perdomo cigar. Shoot me a message to talk about cigars if you so desire. Personally-I'm married and have two wonderful boys, who are 2 years and 8 months respectively. Coffee has helped me to catch up with those two each and everyday, but I love it. :wink: 8) That's it for me, hope to get to know all of you soon.

hey :)

i googled for some marketing advice and ended up here. i haven't left my chair for the last 2 hours and registering made sense when there's this much info to be shared.

my wife and i have a small indy shop in michigan. we celebrated our one year anniversary three days ago and man, do i ever wish i had known about this site when we were getting ready to open.

i just wanted to say hi and thank you for the info i've already gotten here, as well as a thanks in advance for the future.

ei

Hi everybody! Great site! really enjoy it!
I am not new in coffee business but opening on June 11th my first coffee shop. Very exited and passionate to read everything here.

Hello!

Hey, just wanted to introduce myself, new bean in the pot, your site is cool, and very informational. I do everything coffee. Eat, sleep and drink. I own a coffeehouse in little Ohio. (first in my area) glad to be here! Thanks

Re: Hello!

javaluva said:
Hey, just wanted to introduce myself, new bean in the pot, your site is cool, and very informational. I do everything coffee. Eat, sleep and drink. I own a coffeehouse in little Ohio. (first in my area) glad to be here! Thanks

F yeah! I'm from ohio too. What's up everyone?

Well, since we're new, I guess we'll post...

I do speak in plurals all the time...lol, as we are married and into coffee together. Actually I drink it, he makes it...this works for me.

We are working on our dream to open a coffee shop here in Indi, there are already quite a few, but none of the calibur we're hoping to achieve. Being from S.F. Ca. origonally We are appalled that there are no "coffee shops" open before 7 am or after 8 pm here! Only "family resturaunts" ugg! And there are no real coffee based coffee shops outside of Starbucks here anyway. A terrific baker in the area has tried to open one 3 times and failed....he didn't have a niche, only good scones. We have chosen a niche, outlined our menu and even picked the afore mentioned cheff to seb contract for said scones.

We are completely jazzed to have founed this site. What a boon at this time in our business developement. We're looking forward to talking, listening and learning...
:p

Home roasting

Hey all...another new guy here. Dave, from Austin. Got more coffee cups than sense. No, really.

I started roasting my own about a month ago (using the infamous Poppery II), ditched my whirly-blade grinder for an old Zassenhaus, and drip 'em through a 15-year-old (at least) Proctor-Silex (although I do have one of those fancy Gevalia programable thingies). I'll never drink store-bought again...

Anyway, here recently I've been hankerin' to get into making espresso. I've been reading everything I can find on the subject. Any suggestions/tips/info ya'll could give would be greatly appreciated. Seems like there's a lot of conflicting info out there. I've got a Krups Espremio coming, so I'll be stuck making single shots (unless I can find/fabricate/jerry-rig a double portafilter). This is my first try at this, and if it goes well, I'll be investing in a better machine.

Oh, the crack about the cups...I've got boxes of cups. Mostly restaurant stuff, like Shenago, Homer Laughlin, heavy-duty stuff, and some Fire-King mugs, as well as assorted creamers (the small individual glass ones and larger china pitchers). I was collecting that stuff for a while (still bag one when I run across something interesting), although my "daily drinker" is a cheapie cobalt blue 10-ounce glass mug. Four or five a day, since I've been cooking my own beans. Finally, after 30-some-odd years, fresh coffee.

Just wanted to say "HI" from Seattle Live Roast Coffee. Every order is custom roasted just for our customers and we roast only 100% Class 1 Specialty Grade gourmet coffee beans. Great forums here fellas! Nice work!

Never even did this and I've been around a month or two;

Jim and Erin Dale - mostly Jim from Modesto, CA. We bought a coffee drive through place in September of 2004. We wanted to build our own but gave up after 18 months of not being able to find a "sure thing" location. The location we bought is a winner but the business we bought was run down. Getting people to come back and try again is very very hard...we changed names, colors, and everything about the menu including coffee supplier.

We use Caffe Umbria coffee from Seatle....they are great, we think their stuff is great (espresso and coffee), and we didn't lose a single customer when implementing it and have tripled the customer base so far. We just need one more "tick" or in other words we need to quadruple the customer base and we'll be fine...

New and glad to be here

Hello all, my name is Eric but you may call me donut.

I found this site while looking for coffee clubs. I live in Houston and was trying to see if there are any coffee clubs. Not like clubs to buy coffee or where some company sends me a free coffee maker, but instead a club where we all get in a tree house, drink coffee and talk about whatever and hopefully coffee. Ok, the tree house is a little over the top, so a house or a cafe are fine.

Anyways, ended up here.

Back