DF54 static cling

I have exactly the same issues and with a little clean and a good blowing out its back to normal. There was allot of coffee ground stuck to walls. I am also going to try and apply anti static clear film that they use on cars around this area and will let you all know. Other than this it a good grinder
What I have found that works is once a week I use a small round 2" long brush to clean out the chute and every time I grind (after I remove the portafilter) I give the bellows a couple of good strong pumps to clear it out. So far (2 weeks) this seems to be keeping the static issue at bay.

I had the exact same problem with the exact same grinder, also in Hawaii... It didn't have the problem at first, then it appeared and got progressively worse, especially with coarser grinds. RH where the grinder sits is 50-80%, and I'm using primarily dark roasts and espresso grinds. I was always pumping the bellows after grinding but hadn't yet cleaned it. Your solution of cleaning the grinder, then using a pipe-cleaner type brush to get the chute once or twice a week seems to have cleared it up, as well as not using the original plastic dosing cup. Thank you!

I would say newness over the cup... since plastic can't hold any electrical charge. Probably just needed a bit of coffee oil/crud buildup... LOL
Plastic/polymers absolutely can hold a static charge - otherwise "cling" film wouldn't work and you wouldn't have to ground PVC pipes in dust collection systems! The dosing cup might be polycarbonate or PET, Turin only lists it as "food-grade transparent plastic", but it definitely holds a static charge.

I had the exact same problem with the exact same grinder, also in Hawaii... It didn't have the problem at first, then it appeared and got progressively worse, especially with coarser grinds. RH where the grinder sits is 50-80%, and I'm using primarily dark roasts and espresso grinds. I was always pumping the bellows after grinding but hadn't yet cleaned it. Your solution of cleaning the grinder, then using a pipe-cleaner type brush to get the chute once or twice a week seems to have cleared it up, as well as not using the original plastic dosing cup. Thank you!
I replaced the plastic dosing cup with a metal dosing cup from Amazon for $9.99 and I'm still doing the extra firm pump on the bellows but I haven't used the brush in the chute for weeks and I'm still static free. I really blame the plastic cup for the static but I'm not willing to go back to it just to test my theory (LOL). It's not broken, don't fix it. :cool:

Back