Roaster has no Airflow control.

Feb 22, 2024
South Africa
Visit site
Good day to all.
I started roasting last year and am using a 5kg cast iron double wall drum roaster with LPG gas as a heat source. so far I have been getting some very nice roasts when I go for anything in the light to medium ranges. although i am struggling to prevent a smokey flavor from seeping into the coffee when I reach second crack for my medium dark roast( I drop just before/on second crack happening, to the point that it starts cracking as i drop) I aim for a 25% development ratio for the MD roast.

My big problem is that I have no control over cyclone fan speed or the size of the pipe. I can open a sliding tube on the back end of the roaster but getting there is an immense hassle and would only make the suction force of the cyclone even less. I have checked my exhaust tubing recently and there is a bit of caking inside, I am looking into getting tools to help me clean it as nothing I have atm. will work.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I drop at 230'C, First Crack Happening around 207-214'C depending on the day's weather, and Drop Out around 230 again.

Coffee is Brazilian Santos, SCA Grade 81. Personally I would prefer roasting it around 22-24% development at a medium roast level but Clients want "Dark Raost".

Development % based on time from first crack till end of roast. I am starting to work on incorporating smell and colour more into how I roast, but the DTR has been helpfull with staying relatively consistent.

1. Clean your bleedin' exhaust pipes
2. Figure out some way to increase airflow. Can we assume that you have some sort of domestically built machine ?

1. Clean your bleedin' exhaust pipes
2. Figure out some way to increase airflow. Can we assume that you have some sort of domestically built machine ?
1. Thank you wmark. I intend to do so, just struggling to find equipment that I can use for said purpose.

2. It is "domestically" built in a sense yes, made by a company in country. Double gas burners. Delta PID for controlling drum speed and turning everything on/off.
Just thinking out loud, but have you considered adding a motor speed control? Maybe something like this would work in your specific situation?
https://a.co/d/3zFsZNV
I actually haven't thought of using an external add on no. I was wondering if it might be possible to add another motor controller from Delta to our current system but due to lack of communication capability withthe manufacturers of our roaster I am very much left in the dark to find my own way around things. 💀😄

How hard are you looking ? Try a chisel.

What ? You can control drum speed and not air flow ? Incredible
If you know how to wire it in, get a variable speed motor to control the fan. Can advise you as to the motor controls

How hard are you looking ? Try a chisel.

What ? You can control drum speed and not air flow ? Incredible
If you know how to wire it in, get a variable speed motor to control the fan. Can advise you as to the motor controls
I managed to find a flue brush that is working wonders to get the buildup out. Have not noticed an improvement in airflow per se but at least I can keep the roaster cleaner now.

I know, I find it crazy that there is no airflow control options built into the roaster. I will do some research on control for our fan. I do not know how to do the wiring process but have access to a local handyman that should be able to help.

There's a lot of things that I want to implement in our process at the moment and I have to gradually bring my problems and suggestions to the owner attention so as to not come over overbearing/needy. Of course getting our machine "Upgraded" and integrated correctly as well as figuring out maintenance scheduling is on the top of that list at the moment.

Good day to all.
I started roasting last year and am using a 5kg cast iron double wall drum roaster with LPG gas as a heat source. so far I have been getting some very nice roasts when I go for anything in the light to medium ranges. although i am struggling to prevent a smokey flavor from seeping into the coffee when I reach second crack for my medium dark roast( I drop just before/on second crack happening, to the point that it starts cracking as i drop) I aim for a 25% development ratio for the MD roast.

My big problem is that I have no control over cyclone fan speed or the size of the pipe. I can open a sliding tube on the back end of the roaster but getting there is an immense hassle and would only make the suction force of the cyclone even less. I have checked my exhaust tubing recently and there is a bit of caking inside, I am looking into getting tools to help me clean it as nothing I have atm. will work.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I drop at 230'C, First Crack Happening around 207-214'C depending on the day's weather, and Drop Out around 230 again.

Coffee is Brazilian Santos, SCA Grade 81. Personally I would prefer roasting it around 22-24% development at a medium roast level but Clients want "Dark Raost".

Development % based on time from first crack till end of roast. I am starting to work on incorporating smell and colour more into how I roast, but the DTR has been helpfull with staying relatively consistent.
!!!UPDATE!!!

firstly, found a "leak" on the chaff drum of my cyclone which I fixed by applying some seal tape to the drum's connecting circumference, it makes removing the drum a bit harder but now the chaff is staying in the drum😁.

Next I'm looking at upgrading the exhaust piing itself and possibly adding a manual damper to help manage the airflow. I have also attached a picture of the connecting pipe I'm currently using to manage airflow a bit for those that might be interested.

Back