New in the coffee shop business

juliamt3

Jul 31, 2024
Texas
Visit site
Hello! I am currently looking to start a coffee shop with a business partner in the Plano/Frisco Texas area. What sort of advice or hard truths should I know from the beginning. I am also currently setting up a cost analysis what is a cost that some people don't think about or don't realize is impactful.
Everything helps,
Thanks!

Hello! I am currently looking to start a coffee shop with a business partner in the Plano/Frisco Texas area. What sort of advice or hard truths should I know from the beginning. I am also currently setting up a cost analysis what is a cost that some people don't think about or don't realize is impactful.
Everything helps,
Thanks!
I'm also interested in hearing people's experiences with this!
Julia, may I ask about the current costs you have noted?

My initial thoughts on costs are
Direct
Coffee Machine
Grinder
Cups, cutlery etc
Food Wastage

Indirect
Accounting s/w and/or personnel.
Company registration costs (we have these in the UK, most likely there will be some in the US)
Staff Costs
Maintenance of machines (+ contingency for breakdowns etc)
Building Maintenance, Bills & Cleaning
Building works
(Future) Expansion costs
Advertising
Website

Hard truths: If you don't currently have a customer base or interested groups I'd consider this a J-curve business i.e. lots of money spent before returns are visible ...- if anyone is making a profit from a coffee business, please let us know how long it took to break even.

tips from other business ventures (you may already be doing this) - I'd highly recommend getting your business on google maps, gumtree (craigslist US alternative*), and other sites. Google was hugely helpful in getting customers through the door for my former business (tennis racket restringing). One thing I found got repeat customers was giving a 10-20% off coupon. Ensure you ask for reviews! - it feels weird but will ensure you're seen on maps and new people come. You can also start a google business site (which was free, I imagine it still is?) before you pay for a complete website.

Although I haven't started a coffee business I hope these tips are helpful :)

Rooting for you Julia!
Coffee_Mad_Man
EDIT: *I keep forgetting US don't have gumtree but craigslist!
PS - leverage your facebook friends, start a facebook page and ask them to like it; plus join facebook coffee groups too - again this is just a suggestion.

Everything helps,
Thanks!
This would be awesome for my boos, though he has a property in River Grove IL that he would like to turn into a coffee shop and another property in FL. If this is something that you maybe interested in please let me know.

I'm also interested in hearing people's experiences with this!
Julia, may I ask about the current costs you have noted?

My initial thoughts on costs are
Direct
Coffee Machine
Grinder
Cups, cutlery etc
Food Wastage

Indirect
Accounting s/w and/or personnel.
Company registration costs (we have these in the UK, most likely there will be some in the US)
Staff Costs
Maintenance of machines (+ contingency for breakdowns etc)
Building Maintenance, Bills & Cleaning
Building works
(Future) Expansion costs
Advertising
Website

Hard truths: If you don't currently have a customer base or interested groups I'd consider this a J-curve business i.e. lots of money spent before returns are visible ...- if anyone is making a profit from a coffee business, please let us know how long it took to break even.

tips from other business ventures (you may already be doing this) - I'd highly recommend getting your business on google maps, gumtree (craigslist US alternative*), and other sites. Google was hugely helpful in getting customers through the door for my former business (tennis racket restringing). One thing I found got repeat customers was giving a 10-20% off coupon. Ensure you ask for reviews! - it feels weird but will ensure you're seen on maps and new people come. You can also start a google business site (which was free, I imagine it still is?) before you pay for a complete website.

Although I haven't started a coffee business I hope these tips are helpful :)

Rooting for you Julia!
Coffee_Mad_Man
EDIT: *I keep forgetting US don't have gumtree but craigslist!
PS - leverage your facebook friends, start a facebook page and ask them to like it; plus join facebook coffee groups too - again this is just a suggestion.
@JohnnyRocket, you helped me with my query on selling coffee beans, wondering if you can help @juliamt3 here with setting up a coffee shop. I gave some thoughts above based on my thinking from other posts and past business ventures, but perhaps you have more direct experience on this.

Back