I don't want plastic touching my hot coffee

Bohan

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Could someone recommend a small capacity coffee maker with no plastic parts that touch the water or the hot coffee? Stainless steel and glass would work for me. 16 oz. capacity would be perfect but I'll go a little larger if I must. Under $100, and it has to work with a paper filter. I read that coffee is healthier when filtered through paper.

I don't think it will melt, but I read that "almost all commercially available plastics that were tested leached synthetic estrogens...some BPA-free products actually released synthetic estrogens that were more potent than BPA." I did more research and now I'm looking for a simple pour over brewing device that works with a paper filter. I keep getting close to finding something, but finding one that uses regular paper filters (cone shaped is fine) is taking a while. I keep finding ones that use a filter with little holes punched in it, or the thinnest of any paper filter, or that the Chemex filters are "different than standard paper filters...quite thick..." I read a study somewhere that said paper filters remove something that may be harmful, and I want to make sure I get a coffee maker with common paper filters.

Get a porcelain cone filter holder, some Filtropa paper filters, and you're done. Beehouse makes a great setup. Hario makes some great filter holders.

I think your disdain for plastic is unfounded, but like my dad used to say, "It's a free country."

The Beehouse looks good. I'm just looking a little more for cone filter holders made of glass before I order. A reviewer said the Beehouse is weak from the viewing hole and finally broke. A glass one that uses regular #2 filters would be perfect.

I read that "almost all commercially available plastics that were tested leached synthetic estrogens...some BPA-free products actually released synthetic estrogens that were more potent than BPA."

I'm curious.... are you trying to eliminate all plastic items from your life, or are your just now starting with your coffee maker?

Have you considered using a French Press?

I've been trying to limit plastics for years. Some have unhealthy fire retardants which I read years ago were being phased out but you can't always find out which items have them. So, for example, I prefer the steel Airking fans over Vornado fans. Vinyl is probably the most unhealthy for the air so I'd choose a polyester shower curtain over vinyl and ceramic tile over vinyl tile.

I read about the very porous filters of french presses and I want to use a paper filter, so I think I'm sticking to the cone filter holder. Probably the larger size Beehouse.

Hello everyone! I think that's the most appropriate thread to post my question (I hate creating new ones when there is already one relevant). So I am looking for a coffee machine that works with paper filters and has no plastic where the hot coffee passes through - I don't mind other parts of the coffee machine being plastic as long as hot coffee does not touch it. Thank you very much in advance!

Could someone recommend a small capacity coffee maker with no plastic parts that touch the water or the hot coffee? Stainless steel and glass would work for me. 16 oz. capacity would be perfect but I'll go a little larger if I must. Under $100, and it has to work with a paper filter. I read that coffee is healthier when filtered through paper.
I don't make or drink basic coffee, but I have a friend that does, and he also has an Espresso machine, so he is also into coffee, and he has always been adamant to me, in the early days, if I wanted to make coffee, to get a basic, old school percolator. He feels that it makes the best coffee. I can't say yes or no. In any case, the beauty of a percolator is that it will probably be all stainless steel inside, and if not, because it is new, I am sure you could find an older one that is at a flea market or garage sale.

I am not sure if that is the kind of equipment you envisioned using, but maybe it is worth a consideration. The problem is that much of the equipment that uses any newer methods will probably feature plastic, maybe in contact with your coffee.

Danny

I'd say just go with v60 or Chemex. Between setup and cleanup, it's really not much more work than a filter machine.

Back