How much of difference

Jul 23, 2024
United states
Visit site
I recently bought a Breville barista pro and didn’t have any fresh beans. So I tried to dial in a bag of Costco beans. I’m sure they are not the best but it’s what I had . Followed a you tube video and the settings were pretty close to the ones the video recommended and the machine barely was able to push water through it. I’m sure the grind was too fine. I’m wondering if better beans with the same grind would have done better. Or was it just way too fine. There are so many variables. I guess it’s going to take time and patience and a lot of coffee to learn how to make a good shot

Espresso is always best fresh... when stale it will run thin/fast. You simply had your grind too fine... don't pay ANY attention to what you see online for grind settings. It will vary too much on your beans, climate, etc... trial and error. Runs too slow = too fine, runs too fast = too coarse

Costco has some really decent coffee, like the Mayorga Café Cubano dark Roast I sometimes use in my Moka pot, it comes out really nice, as does Ruta Maya Organic Dark Roast Coffee.

Costco also carries a deep dark roast, something that is difficult to find, it's called Mayorga Muy Macho, Muy Dark Roast, I haven't tried this one yet, but next time I'm at Costco I going to try it.

Costco goes through coffee faster than a typical grocery store will, so their coffee tends to be fresher I've noticed, not as fresh as going to a local roaster but more than fresh enough, and their cheaper.

Costco has some really decent coffee, like the Mayorga Café Cubano dark Roast I sometimes use in my Moka pot, it comes out really nice, as does Ruta Maya Organic Dark Roast Coffee.

Costco also carries a deep dark roast, something that is difficult to find, it's called Mayorga Muy Macho, Muy Dark Roast, I haven't tried this one yet, but next time I'm at Costco I going to try it.

Costco goes through coffee faster than a typical grocery store will, so their coffee tends to be fresher I've noticed, not as fresh as going to a local roaster but more than fresh enough, and their cheaper.
Good to know. I have always bought San Francisco French roast for just normal everyday coffee. I’m kind of new to espresso shots, so my coffee bean preference is evolving I have bought some beans from a local roaster. And made espresso with those,wow what a treat that was. I don’t want anything else now. If that’s what coffee is supposed to taste like I’m excited about trying other beans and roast levels. I have been reading about what climates coffee is grown at and what they lend to the beans.But don’t know what I like just yet

Good to know. I have always bought San Francisco French roast for just normal everyday coffee. I’m kind of new to espresso shots, so my coffee bean preference is evolving I have bought some beans from a local roaster. And made espresso with those,wow what a treat that was. I don’t want anything else now. If that’s what coffee is supposed to taste like I’m excited about trying other beans and roast levels. I have been reading about what climates coffee is grown at and what they lend to the beans.But don’t know what I like just yet
A lot of this coffee thing is experimental to find what you like the best. Like with my Hario Switch, the instructions, and coffee expert snobs, all say to use no more than 20 grams of coffee in it for 6 1/2 ounces of water , except for me 25 to 27 grams taste better!

My taste buds may not be as accurate as yours, but when I tried my local roaster coffee, it wasn't anything noticeably better than Mayorga Café Cubano dark Roast from Costco! What's really strange is that Peet Dark Roast Espresso Forte coffee found a some grocery stores is better than Starbucks Espresso Dark Roast. Sometimes I do buy my coffee from the grocery store if they have the Peet.

My stupid local Costco is no longer carrying the Mayorga Café Cubano dark Roast in the warehouse, they told me to order it online, I found that out today when I went in there.

Back