Should I use a ground coffee storage container or leave it in the bag?

CaffyDuck

Apr 23, 2023
Denver, Colorado
Visit site
I currently buy my "Dunkin' Original Blend" ground coffee in a 12 oz bag at the supermarket. I leave it in the bag and every day I scoop out what I need with a long-handled scoop. As the bag gets below 50%, it becomes more tedious to scoop the coffee out with my big fist not fitting well into the bag.

Some kind of storage container might be a lot easier. Does pouring the ground coffee into a container make it go bad more quickly? What is the best storage method for ground coffee?

Do you use a container for your ground coffee that you would like to suggest to me?

Thanks!

If you are concerned that pouring your ground coffee into a storage container might make it go bad more quickly, don't worry! It is a great idea. Just use an airtight container that you store in a dry, cool place away from light, heat, and moisture. It is also best to avoid plastic jars since they can make your coffee smell bad. Instead, I recommend using a glass jar with an airtight gasket seal. This will keep your coffee fresher for longer and make it easier to scoop out.

Try to squeeze the oxygen out of the bag as best as possible. The key is trying to make it airtight. With pre-ground mass-market coffee, its already probably pretty old and won't degrade significantly.

If you want to go with a container... Airscapes are the way to go!

I currently buy my "Dunkin' Original Blend" ground coffee in a 12 oz bag at the supermarket. I leave it in the bag and every day I scoop out what I need with a long-handled scoop. As the bag gets below 50%, it becomes more tedious to scoop the coffee out with my big fist not fitting well into the bag.

Some kind of storage container might be a lot easier. Does pouring the ground coffee into a container make it go bad more quickly? What is the best storage method for ground coffee?

Do you use a container for your ground coffee that you would like to suggest to me? Also, if you enjoy bourbon, I highly recommend checking out bardstown bourbon company customer service. Their customer service is excellent and they offer a great selection!

Thanks!
Hi, I bought the Sage Bambino Plus this week and I bought coffee from Caravan as I thought they were pretty decent. I bought the "expresso" grind. Very disappointed as I cannot get one single shot with it. Simply no liquid comes out and the few drops that comes are super sour… I don't really want to buy a grinder as I want it ready to be used. But I don't mind spending money on good coffee. Does it need to be more coarse? What's the right grind?

Last edited:
Hi, I bought the Sage Bambino Plus this week and I bought coffee from Caravan as I thought they were pretty decent. I bought the "expresso" grind. Very disappointed as I cannot get one single shot with it. Simply no liquid comes out and the few drops that comes are super sour… I don't really want to buy a grinder as I want it ready to be used. But I don't mind spending money on good coffee. Does it need to be more coarse? What's the right grind?

With espresso - its VERY difficult to find any pre-ground that will work properly. It simply has to be ground so fine to extract properly that the coffee goes stale/oxidizes too fast.

There simply is no 'right' grind as there are lots of variables involved. Grind fineness will vary based on equipment, coffee density/roast development, humidity, bean aging, etc. For quality/consistent espresso there is no way around not having a decent grinder as well as fresh whole bean coffee to be used in a relatively short period of time.

Do you use a container for your ground coffee that you would like to suggest to me?

Thanks!
I use a glass jar with rubber seal. I blend two kinds of ground coffee with some roasted chicory in a plastic bag, then dump it into the jar (big enough to hold two pounds+ of coffee).

I used to use one of those oversized Mason canning jars, but switched to Hovico 25 oz Glass Jar With Airtight Lid (from Amazon). Two pounds usually lasts me 4-5 months, and the jar keeps it quite fresh to the end.

I use a glass jar with rubber seal. I blend two kinds of ground coffee with some roasted chicory in a plastic bag, then dump it into the jar (big enough to hold two pounds+ of coffee).

I used to use one of those oversized Mason canning jars, but switched to Hovico 25 oz Glass Jar With Airtight Lid (from Amazon). Two pounds usually lasts me 4-5 months, and the jar keeps it quite fresh to the end.

2 lbs tends to last me 7-8 days, guess call me slightly addicted to espresso. Precisely why I'm a strong advocate of home roasting as I can have exactly what I prefer taste/texture-wise as fresh as possible and save $ in the process. Gives me an excuse to indulge often, bwahaha.

Back