Direct Trade Group Buy From Costa Rica.

I'm guessing the initial delivery charge of $140 will increase the price per pound by roughly $1.00, rather than the 10 cents mentioned above. That puts the cost at around $5.25 before delivery to roaster. I'm guessing that $6.25 will be roughly the final price to any roaster who purchases at least a sack of beans.

i think that price leaves me watching from the sidelines, without a direct relational knowledge of the situation. i wish you the best of luck!

I have purchased a sack of this coffee and It should be arriving in early March. When I get the website finished I will add it to the "in stock" coffee if anybody is interested.

Wow...that is a bit high. How many containers are they bringing in? I can get Tarrazu for $2.15 and delivered for about .13 a lb . Not trying to stir the pot but that is really high.

Hey topher, it's being purchased directly from the farmer. Being direct trade we are not lining the pockets of the large importers, the money is going back into the farm. A lot of people are worried about sustainability these days. So with the price of coffee being in the basement right now farmers are ripping out their coffee plants in favor of more valuable crops.

$4.25 is a bit pricy because he is not exporting full or even half containers. He exports about 2000 lbs a year to the US. His farm is not that big. Unlike most Costa Rican farmers who sell their coffee to co-ops for processing, and receive very little for it, he has his own processing equipment which is an added expense for him not only in equipment but also in labor.

I thought $4.25 a lb was a small price to pay for doing my part to help him out. He has some really awesome coffee too so it's really a win-win.

Ok, after purchasing a sack of this coffee, Matias emailed me back yesterday and informed me he would be willing to split sacks into 3 - 50lb boxes and ship them from Miami UPS.

So, no additional freight charges. $4.25lb + UPS shipping to your destination from the port of Miami. If anyone is still interested please let me know. He won't break sacks down any further than 50lb boxes.

Sounds like a lot of work for bags of green coffee that can be bought locally in The SF bay area. Have you looked into :

Royal Coffee, Inc.
3306 Powell Street
Emeryville, CA 94608, USA

I live in Portland, Or and I wish I could drive to a green coffee warehouse. Their are two in Seattle, and I have bought from Atlas Coffee before when I go to visit my sister up there.

I do believe you can buy greens by the bag for less than $5, which is what you are going to pay with this venture.

Many people could care less where their coffee comes from as long as they can get it for the cheapest price. I'm pretty sure you are missing the point on the whole Direct Trade concept.

Many people could care less where their coffee comes from as long as they can get it for the cheapest price. I'm pretty sure you are missing the point on the whole Direct Trade concept.

I understand the concept and I did not mean to rain on your parade. I roasted commercially for three years. My point is that is expensive.

I can go on Ebay and buy direct from "Bodhi Leaf" coffee, who is a small reputable coffee trader in So Cal and either buy now or bid for greens. I will get them for 4/5 dollars a pound and pay NO shipping at all. He has 50 offerings at any time. I can buy 20 pound quantities and know the exact variety and he only sells current crop.

I'm sorry Buzz, I didn't mean to dis you, but please, I know how to buy beans.

You are not raining on my parade. I'm not out to convince anybody to buy Direct Trade.

Believe it or not there are people out there who actually care about where their coffee comes from. They make sure it is sourced ethically and the farmer is getting paid a decent price for his coffee.

I am well aware you can get really good coffee at cheap prices. Some people choose to be socially responsible and some don't.

How much green coffee do you folks usually inventory? ie. how many weeks, months worth? I might be interested but the price is quite high. Is there a price break for volume? I could probably take 6-10 bags if the price is right. I deal with a broker who has direct trade relationships with a good portion of his suppliers and feel pretty good about buying from them. I usually buy FTO coffee. Is this coffee organic? Certified or not it doesn't matter to me. I know the certifications are out of reach for many farmers.

I buy a lot of coffee direct trade from CR, right from finca in West Valley, and the offering price above is not too bad FOB Miami. At the fica $6.00/kilo/70 kilo "bag" is the norm. Add a couple bux/kilo for shipping and handling and you are north of $4.00 bux/Lb. Margins on CR coffee are very low these days, but costs to produce keep going up. GLWS

Back