water filtration

Down2Earth50

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone. I need your help with water filtration systems. I am building a coffee trailer that will have an esspresso machine,a coffee brewer, a tea brewer and other equipment that will be hooked up to the water supply lines. I will be using a water pump to pull the water out of my 85 gallon fresh water tank. I want to push my water thru filters and send it out thru the pipes to my equipment and faucets. My question is this: 1. Is it a good idea to filter the water as it comes out of the tank and pass it along to the equipment (1 set of filters) for the entire system trailer or should each piece of equipment be individually filterd? 2. Should I use a water softner along side the filtration system? 3. Does a system that incorporates 1 filter and 1 softner make sense or should there be more than 1 filter?

I'd appreciate your assistance with my questions. Thank you.

Hi D2E,

Softened water does not make the best coffee, in my opinion. Paper or fiber filters tend to impart a taste into the water, so be careful with how many of this type you use...usually a good sediment filter takes care of a lot. A small, inline, activated carbon filter at each machine will help clean up the taste, especially if you are treating the supply with chlorine tablets to kill off microbes and algae. Personally, I'd use a smaller tank, emty leftover water, and refill...over time the tank will start to take on the musty smell of stagnant water, and that is bad, bad, bad. I've seen people using mutliple, portable water holding tanks that are easy to change out, refill, and clean. Water, afterall, is most of your product...very important. A large bulk tank is good for your sink water, but not product water in my opinion.

Back