How did you get started?

prairieguy

Sep 11, 2012
Saskatchewan
Visit site
So I'm sitting here going through the process in my head, writing down all my thoughts because I can't get the idea of being a roaster out of my system! I think it's here for the long haul. My question to all you roasters that do this for living is how did you get started? Were you already in the industry or did you jump in with 2 feet and become successful? What mistakes did you make along the way?

The wife and I started researching the industry about a year ago and got serious back in early March. We officially open our shop tomorrow or Tuesday if the final inspection needed doesn't happen until then. We have our organic certification as well as food processing license from the state.

Rose was kind enough to send me a link to my first post on these forums when I was basically in the same spot you are now.

Our new roaster arrived a couple of months back and we've spent considerable time since than getting to know the roaster and developing blends. That step has been one of the most rewarding things I've done as an adult. I have many years experience in wine sales and education and have always had a passion for cooking. I see this move into roasting as a combination of all of the above.

One mistake was assuming we would be ready months before we were/are.

One suggestion would be to get to know your local regulations before looking for a suitable space. You should also study every facet of the roasting industry, including coffee bean varieties from around the world, flavor profiles, roasting profiles, brewing methods, etc. Strive to learn as much as you can before your roaster arrives.

I would recommend purchasing a roaster you can grow into rather than out of. Figure out how much it will cost and then add another 20- 30% for all of the things that come up. (And many expenses will fit that bill, ime.)

Find a niche in the local market that isn't being serviced. Talk to locals about what coffees they like. Plan on educating the public on all things coffee. Find more than one revenue stream.

We are currently getting on-line orders from the local food coop through their website. Our first delivery to the coop will be on Thursday. Hurray!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:
Btw, I highly recommend you pick up the book, "Home Coffee Roasting, Romance and Revival," by Kenneth Davids. Trust me when I say that it covers much more ground than simply roasting coffee at home.

Thanks for the great info, I will definitely look into the book. My wife opened a coffee bar this past December and although we have a great roaster who has helped us out all along the way, he is 900+km away. Congrats on your opening, hope all goes well for you.

Good luck to you prairieguy on your new venture :) I started my research into opening my own coffee bar few months go. I am not ready for it yet but I am hoping to be by the end of next year. I am working on my business plan, its been a long process but I want to have a solid plan before moving forward. Next is barista training. I love coffee but I think training will open my eyes even more to a coffee world. You mentioned in your post that your wife opened het coffee bar last December. Do you have any words of wisdom? I would love to get some feedback from your experience. Thank you so much in advanace.

Hello, Thank you so much for your reply. I will be contacting Rudy for sure! Thank you! I am meeting with realtor tomorrow to get ideas on locations and costs. Again thank you and all the best to you and good luck with the roasting business :coffee:

Hello,
Roasting coffee and operating a shop are two very different tasks. We have been roasting for over 5 years wholesale(jumped in feet first). We are just now thinking about opening a shop, easier to do with a solid base of business form the coffee roasting. Be sure to read Ken David's book. It is a great start. Also learn from great cuppers and network.
All the Best,
Dwane

We jumped in with both feet. I live in Ireland and run a business in the U.S. tied to the home housing market. Needless to say, like the housing market, it is just about dead. So we wanted to stay in Ireland and needed to make euros so decided to stop talking about becoming coffee roasters and 'just do it'. Thankfully my wife, The Lovely & Talented Roast Mistress, was able to ramp up her skills rather quickly (thanks for giving us the confidence that we could do it Duane!) and is turning out coffee that is getting great reviews.

Now it is all about the business end of things, managing cash flow, chasing down late payers (which can be a full time job so factor that in when thinking about starting to roast), finding good suppliers, constantly tweaking our labels, being smart about taking on new business (i.e. I can't drive 50 miles with gas at $8.50/gallon, deliver 30 bags of coffee, and expect to make a profit unless I'm delivering to several people along the way), and growing as fast as we can without taking on any debt.

As to labels, even though it has been a gigantic pain I'd recommend printing your own to begin with -- if they have any amount of complexity. For us we've made lots of tweaks to both the front and back labels of our different coffees, usually at customer's suggestions. I must say, there have been several good ones.

After printing several thousand on our own I'd say we're getting close to 'being there'. If things stay static for the next few thousand labels then we'll have someone print them. The last thing you need is boxes full of labels you wish were different.

Of course if you aren't selling where the labels have to have a lot of info like ours do, then something plain will make your life simple. I think Duane uses a big rubber stamp on a kraft bag. Looks good. Really simple. Low cost.

Well, enough about labels. Watch out for EPA emission regs in the U.S., having to add an afterburner to your roaster can be a killer (from what I've heard, thankfully I don't have that problem in rural Ireland).

Back