From Barista Express to filter coffee

Daniel23456

Jul 19, 2024
Germany
Visit site
Hey all,

In a chase for the perfect coffee (for me) I want to try a move from the normal 9 bar machines to filter coffee machines. I have been making coffee with Barista Express for many years at a very high level with light - medium roasted beans. I taught myself how to do some latte art and really enjoy it.

However, I have been making changes in my life and I am trying to cut down my milk intake as much as possible. I can go ahead and say that espresso is very yummy to me, and you can really taste the coffee like that, but it is just not true for me, unfortunately. So I am looking into filter coffee, which I never looked at before. It looks more challenging to find a good machine, not as much information with a simple search as I was hoping for. I am looking for an equivalent machine to a Barista Express (I know machines can get so much better than this, but it is a good middle ground for me at the time being).

Would love to hear some thoughts and recommendations from people with some experience in this area.

Thank you for hearing me out.

If you would like to stick with Breville, the precision brewer thermal will feel more familiar in terms of user experience.

When it comes to filtered machines take a look at Technivorm Mocamaster. If you would prefer making one cup at a time similar to your espresso machine. The company makes a Cup-One Coffee Maker that may suit your need.

You will likely need to purchase a new grinder for filter coffee. Technivrom makes one. There are plenty to choose from as well. From the more budget end Baratza Encore, mid-range Option O Lagom Mini etc

I consider myself an amateur coffee drinker. When it comes to making coffee I value the whole coffee making workflow as equally as the end result of the coffee. So starting from grinding the coffee. like how easy is it to weight out the coffee beans each time. Quietness of the grinder, grinding noice pitch, cleaniness of the grind (I don’t want to have coffee grind flying every where). Ease of use of the coffee machine just to start brewing. These factors are what help guide me to my purchasing decision. Hope that helps

Back