Francis x1 issues

Davehaynes1

Jul 27, 2024
New Zealand
Visit site
I picked up a Francis X1 yesterday and went to pull a shot this morning but, nothing....
Machine heats up well, pump sounds healthy, steam wand works great.
But no water will come out of the head.
This is my first espresso machine so maybe I'm just doing something wrong.
I am turning the machine on, waiting for the correct temperature and the green 'ready for use' light to come on. Then I hit the coffee brew switch and wait a good 10 seconds or so and no water flows through the head.
I am hesitant to leave it pumping much longer than this incase I damage the pump??
Or will it take longer for water to flow?
I have pulled the machine apart today and wanted to remove the shower plate to inspect the valve behind it but the small retaining screw will not undo, it is now completely rounded off.
Is it possible the valve behind the shower plate is completely blocked? The boiler was very clean inside when I pulled it apart with no scale or build up.
Do I need to wait longer for the water to flow and just be patient? Or do I run the risk of damaging the pump?
Thanks !!!

Last edited:
I picked up a Francis X1 yesterday and went to pull a shot this morning but, nothing....
Machine heats up well, pump sounds healthy, steam wand works great.
But no water will come out of the head.
This is my first espresso machine so maybe I'm just doing something wrong.
I am turning the machine on, waiting for the correct temperature and the green 'ready for use' light to come on. Then I hit the coffee brew switch and wait a good 10 seconds or so and no water flows through the head.
I am hesitant to leave it pumping much longer than this incase I damage the pump??
Or will it take longer for water to flow?
I have pulled the machine apart today and wanted to remove the shower plate to inspect the valve behind it but the small retaining screw will not undo, it is now completely rounded off.
Is it possible the valve behind the shower plate is completely blocked? The boiler was very clean inside when I pulled it apart with no scale or build up.
Do I need to wait longer for the water to flow and just be patient? Or do I run the risk of damaging the pump?
Thanks !!!
This is the machine (link)?

Wonder if this distributor in the video can help, their website is at 2:42 in the video.

If you can send a video of the issue, someone here may be able to help.

I replaced the pump with a newer slightly uprated version and rebuilt the boiler and now it seems to be working well.
Made my first coffee on the machine last night.
It was terrible, but I guess that means I can only improve....

I just picked up a second hand X1 myself and I’m experiencing the same thing. What pump did you go with? Figured I’d upgrade and repair everything I can while it’s all apart. I wonder if there’s an upgrade to the steam wand?

Back